We are seeking a Research Associate for Solarea Bio located in Cambridge, MA with experience working with bacteria and/or fungi with proficiency in aseptic technique, media and buffer preparation, culture inoculation and culture maintenance. The position will be a supporting role for the Discovery Lab with a large focus on culturing of microbes and the identification and quality control of bacterial and fungal strains.
- Perform culturing of bacterial and fungal strains as well as analytics such as quantifying cell numbers via cell counter, OD600, CFUs.
- Propagate new cultures from parent stocks and perform quality control measures on new stocks/cultures via light microscopy, purity streaking, PCR, DNA extraction and Sanger Sequencing.
- Assist in the manufacturing of microbial biomass for pre-clinical studies.
- Assist in maintenance of routine lab operations through washing of glassware, autoclaving of media, glassware, and lab consumables, ordering and restocking of laboratory supplies, etc.
- Write detailed electronic lab notebook (ELN) entries, analyze and present data in cross-functional team meetings
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a life sciences-related discipline with 0-2 years of relevant laboratory experience
- Experience handling microorganisms
- Experience preparing buffers and media
- Proficient in sterile technique
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task during daily routine
- A desire to be in a laboratory setting, being involved in experimental design and downstream generation of scientific data
- A sense of adventure and excitement to help build a new company and work in a highly dynamic team environment
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing workflows and activities
- Attention to detail
- Anaerobic culturing experience (optional)